hover animation preload

Caffeine Consumption
by Denis Oakley in

I've drunk a lot of caffeine over the years. At a rough guess I have probably averaged between  6 - 8 canns of diet coke a day and 1 - 2 litres of tea. I do have an addictive personality - When I smoked 40 cigarettes a day was standard - 60 on evenings out and I thinkk some one once counted me smoke 108 cigarettes in a day. Ouch. When I gave up 5 years ago the oral fixation continued and I switched to large volumes of alcohol and coke consumption. Boradly I need a liquid drink beside me the whole time - nd coke was conveniently packaged. You have to waste 5 minutes getting another cup of tea, it gets cold etc etc. In the evenings a sip of beer replaced every drag of a cigarette with disastrous consequences for about 6 months.

For the last few years as I've set up a variety of businesses coke has been my friend. I tried to give up about 4 years ago. After a month the withdrawal symptoms were similar to the day I started - despite using rooibus tea as a placebo/substitute. The first can of coke sent me hyper and I never looked back.Almost accidentally last week I stopped drinking coke and I noticed a few things about my behaviour.

  • I need about 1 1/2 hours more sleep a night. 
  • I get tired quite a lot during the day - especially early afternoon and early evening
  • I go to sleep very quickly but if i get disturbed in the first 1/2 an hour of falling asleep I find it very difficult to get back to sleep
I am still having 2 - 3 cups of tea a day. Life would be hell without it. However at 46mg per can of coke i reckon that over the last 10 days I've consumed about 3g less caffeine than normal. Having a coke or redbull in a race will now provide me with a loittle bit more zip. :)

Now how to work out how to do everything in a day that is 90 minutes shorter. Do I go to bed earlier - or get up later?

0 comments:

Post a Comment